I do not know why all the attendees at last Saturday’s prayer retreat came. Some had their mind of other things, some were tired, others, well, had their reasons. The important thing was that they felt that on that day, at that moment, they needed to step away from the rest of life for a time to focus on God.
While we can provide the setting and the prompts, it is God who delivers the message.
It was an amazing morning, with individuals being reminded of God’s love for them.
God was there. I am so thankful that God showed up! That God was present! But, I’m also not surprised. God promises to answer, to help those who seek him.
We never know how God is going to answer our prayers and fill our needs!
For one woman, it was through a toy dump truck.
During one exercise, she was drawn to the small yellow dump truck (hot wheels size) in the midst of a table of objects. It called to her, spoke to a need deep inside.
For her, the dump truck spoke to her constant piling on of stuff into her life. She is filling her life with more and more, many, if not all, inspired by her love of God and seeking to help others.
But, sometimes, we need to remember that we need to dump that stuff out of our lives.
We need to evaluate if what we are doing, is really of God?
- Are you finding joy in the activity?
- Is it using your God given gifts?
- Is your energy being fueled are drained? (If you are an introvert, “fueled” may not mean the same thing as for an extrovert.)
- Are you being distracted from your main life concerns (God, family, etc.)?
- Do you answer “yes, sure I can do it” so you don’t have to say “no”?
- Is there something you are avoiding?
- Are you trying to right a wrong, without addressing the wrong?
- Is there something you can do later, perhaps next year, and even do it better then?
- Are you receiving encouragement from others and the Holy Spirit?
Perhaps it is time for you to really look at all that “stuff” you have accumulated in the box of your truck, and dump what isn’t working.
Lord, thank you for opportunities to take a time-out and focus on our relationship with you. Thank you for helping us evaluate our lives and helping us dump what we don’t need, so we can honor your call. Amen.