Guest preachers can go very wrong, or very right. Yesterday’s went very right at Faith Church. David Stewart, of Awaken Community in St. Paul, came and spoke to us about their ministry. Personally, I do not know any more about it than what David shared and some of their online presence, but I liked what I heard. I must admit that I have heard it all before, but God’s timing was perfect in bringing David to that congregation – as the way he said it and who he is, was the best way to get God’s message to Faith.
Hear are a few points that resonated with others in the congregation and myself. In that I hope his message will be posted on the Faith website soon, I will keep the list short
- We, as Israel, are a people who wrestle with God and need to continue to wrestle with God.
- The wrestling we do is through the power of the Holy Spirit. Creativity is a way of navigating this wrestling.
- The wounds and limps from the wrestling are and will be a blessing to ourselves and the world.
- The church’s role is not to make others believe the way we do, but to create a safe and encouraging place for everyone to explore their relationship with God – to make disciples. (We have an innate ability to harm or avoid, but not to wrestle.)
- In a post-modern world, the Truth (and we as humans can not conceive of the whole Truth of God) can withstand questions, doubt, and all other kinds of wrestling. We can not be afraid to ask questions, or let others ask questions.
- Within the Gospel, things seemingly at odds with each other can both be “true”.
What do you think? What do you think is the point of the Gospel? Is it to know all of the right truth or is to be in relationship with God?